- Do you live in the Wandsworth Borough?
- Are you an older adult that finds it difficult to get out and would welcome a weekly visitor?
- Do you have an interest in vegetable gardening and like the idea of working alongside a volunteer to develop a vegetable patch in your home whilst having a friendly chat?
The Furzedown Project have been successful in obtaining funding from the National Lottery Community Fund, to support older members of the Wandsworth Community. The funding is to improve physical and mental wellbeing through vegetable gardening combined with befriending.
- Our gardening volunteer will visit you at home on a weekly basis.
- Together, you can decide what vegetables you would like to grow and work together to develop your vegetable patch. Seeds, cuttings and equipment will be provided.
- Adaptations will be provided to enable you to participate if there are any physical limitations.
- We will facilitate adapted tai chi sessions to help improve your mobility and balance.
- Education sessions and trips will be organised by The Furzedown Project.
“Becoming involved with the Furzedown Farmers initiative has helped me to develop the confidence to go out more because of the new friendship groups I have developed. I feel so much happier in myself and really look forward to the weekly visits from my volunteer.” Madge
“I have learnt so much about growing vegetables and its great to be able to put it into practise and watch them grow. I do find it relaxing being outside in the garden. it’s so nice to have company, talking and gardening together.” Terry
“ I do not get out much so I really look forward to my visits from the volunteer,, Its nice to be able to spend time with someone who shares the same interests. The time seems to fly by and my vegetable patch is coming along a treat.” Francis
“The Furzedown Farmers initiative has opened so many doors for me. I attend the adapted tai chi outdoor sessions and I love the way it makes me feel afterwards. I feel so calm and relaxed and just better able to cope with the challenges life throws at me. My mobility and balance have improved so much and I feel far more confident walking down the road.” Eva